Friday, September 19, 2008

What to do when your whole family is Sick!

This last week has been miserable! It all started with finding out that I was getting some sort of germ infestation that manifested itself as the flu with snotty cold addition. The worst thing is when you can feel it coming and there is nothing really to do. I am a firm believer in Airborne, despite their current legal struggles, so I dosed up right away. I think it helped with the severity of the sickness but did not prevent it. Anyway I am too cheap to buy the actual Airborne stuff so I settled for the Target brand “Immunity Supplement”.

Getting sick is a lot more complicated when you have little munchkins involved. Especially my boogery boys. One sneeze gives those germs a chance to spread exponentially. So it started with me and then moved on to Ethan. He in turn graciously passed on the infestation to his little brother Ryun. Ryun then slobbered on his mommy and in doing so bridged the germ gap. So Melodie got the sickness and was down and out, which caused me to miss school (which is easy to make up) and our house to become a disgusting mess.

The baby then got involved because lets face it, chewing on used Kleenexes out of the trash can’t be conducive to your health. (Hey don’t judge me! You try watching him 24 hours a day and studying Greek paradigms… and playing a little xbox!!) Anywho… Everyone was sick, the house flowed with boogers and whining, and it turns out Melodie really does a lot of work around here.

I washed a lot of dishes and wiped a lot of noses (and some butts) and I learned a thing or three about what to do if your family is sick.

#1 Move into a hotel.

I have a funny story about the time we were moving to San Luis Obispo and our house wasn’t ready so we lived in a hotel for a week. It involves diarrhea, a clogged toilet, a formerly white shower curtain, and the forensic technique of identifying poo splatter. We’ll save that for another blog.

#2 Hire a maid

I only wish that we could afford such a luxury.

#3 Borrow an exterminator tent and Lysol bomb the house

Costly yet effective.

#4 Quarantine the sick ones (or send them to a hotel)

Hard to do in a two bedroom apartment but there are refrigerator boxes that can accomplish this.

#5 Suck it up and serve those people you love. (They can’t all be funny!)

When my wife is sick I get to show her how much I really care. And also marvel at her unique ability to multi-task and yet not let any snotty Kleenexs become part of the baby’s supplemental diet!

Please comment and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Sam said...

You should plastic bubbles that will quarantine people. Sure, you'll risk their death for lack of food and drink, and they'll probably even suffocate before the end of the day, but at least you won't get sick. That's the important part. :P

I want to hear the hotel story, I've heard hilarious stories of poo splatter in theater bathrooms.